What is Dental Anxiety?
Dental Anxiety is a severe form of anxiety that occurs among individuals when they have to go to the dentist’s office to get any work done on their mouths. For some individuals, this fear is so crippling that they would avoid or ignore warnings to go to the dentist all together because they are too afraid of what will happen if they go. Fear can harm an individual’s oral health to skip going to the dentists for years or even decades on end. However, the good news for those that experience this anxiety is that there are alternatives to avoiding the dentist’s office complete.
The alternative that is getting offered today is called Sedation Dentistry. Sedation Dentistry is a form of dentistry that helps those who have severe anxieties or fears of dentists working in their mouths. Sedation Dentistry allows people who would not otherwise be able to have procedures completed get the dental care they need to help them maintain good oral health.
Self-Soothing Preparations For a Dental Visit
While many individuals have quite a fear of the dentist, there is a lot that you can do on your own to help calm those fears. The following are keys to helping you calm your own fears about going to your dentist:
- Confirm exactly when your appointment is (date, time, location, etc.) and knowing where you need to be and when will help you plan every detail accordingly.
- Arrive early if you are going to need to fill out paperwork or prepare yourself for your appointment so that you are ready to go on time.
- Ask your dentist about what exactly they will be doing before they even put a tool into your mouth. Having them explain their procedures ahead of time will help ensure that you are not in for any surprises once they begin working.
- Ask any questions you have to ensure that you understand everything that your appointment will entail.
- Request Novocaine or other painkillers if the dentist will be doing any procedures that may cause discomfort during your visit.
Taking control of your dental experience and understanding what the dentist will be doing can help lessen your anxiety throughout your appointment.
Today’s modern dental landscape provides a variety of options for those who have severe dental anxiety and may need more than just information ahead of time in order to be able to handle their appointment in its entirety. The following are approved technologies that can help you overcome the anxiety of a dental appointment:
- Nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, which will help you relax throughout your appointment.
- Conscious oral sedatives are sometimes provided with nitrous oxide sometimes given separately.
- Needle-free dentistry is also available using topical products such as Tricaine blue.
All of these are options that are available to help ensure that your visits to the dentist are as comfortable as possible. Dental anxiety is not abnormal and more and more dentists are committed to working with patients who have dental anxiety to ensure that they can still get the oral care they need while they are relaxed and comfortable in the process.
We Can Help
As sedation dentistry continues to advance people who have anxiety and fears of dentists are now finally able to get the care they need and deserve.
At Blue Ash Dental Group we are here to ensure that patients are comfortable throughout their dental appointment. We are committed to working with those with dental anxiety to come up with a treatment plan that works for them and meets their needs. For further assistance please feel free to contact us to schedule a consultation today.