You have probably heard of fluoride, but do you have a solid understanding of what it is and how it works? At Blue Ash Dental Group, we love helping our patients learn more about this simple mineral that does wonders for your teeth!
What Is Fluoride?
Fluoride is a natural mineral that has a variety of oral health benefits. The first connection between consuming high levels of fluoride and having great oral health was made by studying fluoride levels in water in the 1930s, and many more sources and benefits have been found since then. All of these sources play an essential role in cavity prevention.
How Can Fluoride Benefit Me?
There are several ways in which getting enough fluoride is an important part of maintaining excellent oral health. Fluoride’s main purpose in any oral healthcare routine is strengthening the enamel in order to prevent cavities. The specific ways in which fluoride benefits teeth vary slightly by age:
- In children, fluoride is particularly important in strengthening the new, growing tooth enamel. Fluoride reaches both primary and adult teeth when used by children, which has lasting health benefits!
- In adults, fluoride continues to strengthen the enamel, which can be especially helpful if the enamel has begun to weaken over time.
What Are Some Good Sources of Fluoride?
- Fresh vegetables, such as potatoes
- Certain meats, such as crab
- Some types of tea and wine
Other sources of fluoride include:
- Fluoride rinses and other types of mouthwash
- Supplemental fluoride in water, such as bottled water with added fluoride and fluoride filters for tap water
- Special dental fluoride treatments
At Blue Ash Dental Group, we care about providing our patients with the tools they need to be well-informed about oral health. Contact us today to schedule an appointment or to learn more about our services!